OPS Competition Results – History
The Graham White Shield (formerly OPS Shield)(Traditional )
Past Winners by Class
|The Graham White Shield||Eric Oak Memorial Cup||President’s Cup||Social Philately Certificate||The Tim Lardner Shield||OPS Junior Cup||The Novice’s Trophy|
|2009||David Potts||Mike Kitson||David Potts||Mike Payne||David Potts||N/A|
|2010||David Potts||Mike Kitson||David Potts||N/A||David Potts||N/A|
|2011||David Potts||Alan Cowie||Mike Payne||N/A||David Potts||Jack Bowler|
|2012||Alan Cowie||Mike Kitson||Mike Payne||Tristan Brittain||David Potts||N/A|
|2013||Colin Davies||Alan Cowie||Mike Payne||Tristan Brittain||David Potts||N/A|
|2014||David Potts||Tristan Brittain||Mehmet Guney||David Potts||N/A||N/A|
|2015||Colin Davies||Alan Cowie||Mike Payne||N/A||David Potts||N/A|
|2016||Colin Davies||Mike Kitson||Mike Payne||David Potts||Colin Davies||N/A||Neil Hancox|
|2017||Colin Davies||Alan Cowie||Mike Payne||David Potts||N/A||N/A||Ray Mutton|
|2018||Colin Davies||Mike Kitson||Mike Payne||David Potts||David Potts||N/A||Phil Cross|
OXFORD PHILATELIC SOCIETY 9-PAGE COMPETITION 19 FEB 2018 LIST OF ENTRANTS & RESULTS.
|TRADITIONAL||Colin Davies||GB – 9th PUC Issues||85||1|
|Tristan Brittan||Ethiopia – The Bird Stamps||82||2|
|POSTAL HISTORY||Mike Kitson||Brit. POs in Catagena||90||1|
|Tristan Brittan||Ethiopia – Censored Mail||83||2|
|THEMATIC||Mike Payne||The Spirit of St Louis||78||1|
|Mike Payne||Rowland Hill||74||2|
|OPEN||David Potts||Opatija in the Age of Mass Tourism||78||1|
|CINDERELLA||David Potts||German Poster Stamps – Castles||75||1|
|NOVICE ( THEMATIC )||Phil Cross||Fishes||71||1|
|Mike Bratley||100 Years of the Automobile||68||2|
|Wilson Wamani||My Collection||62||3|
Winners of each Class go forward to the TVPF regional competition.
Oxford PS may make 2 entries per Class but individuals may make only one entry themselves. Hand to Mike Kitson at or before the March OPS Auction Meeting.
OPS entry for TVPF Competition – Mike Kitson will advise.
TVPF Competition & Prizegiving at Thatcham / WESTPEX 24 March 2018
All entrants please to present their entries at the OPS evening meeting on Mon 16 April. Displays may be modified if modified for WESTPEX.
OXFORD PS COMPETITION 2018 – JUDGE’S COMMENTS
Visiting Judge : Tony Stanford RPSl, TVPF
11 entries including 3 novice class entries.
1. GB – 9th PUC Issues. Some very fine & scarce material but layout a bit crowded at times. Last page untidy. Include booklet panes. Marks : 85 – 1st in Class
2. Ethiopia – The Bird Stamps. Very fine & scarce pages. Intro should be on page 1. Would make a great 16 sheet entry with stamps & FDCs. Marks : 82 – 2nd in Class
2. POSTAL HISTORY
1. Brit POs in Cartagena. Super entry. Add bibliography & your published article reference.
Marks : 80 – 1st in Class
2. Ethiopia – Censored Mail. Put intro on 1st page; raise title and include censorship detail. Add scans of markings on reverse. Marks : 79 – 2nd in Class.
1. Spirit of St Louis. Nice plan well developed & telling the story. Split sets according to plan.
Marks : 78 – 1st in Class.
2. Rowland Hill. Nice plan but stamps do not always correspond. Better to split sets according to subject.
Marks : 74 – 2nd in Class.
1. Opatija in the Age of Mass Tourism. A neat entry with good range of philatelic and non-philatelic material.
Marks : 78 – 1st ( 1 entry only )
1. German Poster Stamps – Castles. Nice exhibit with good material. Two unrelated stamps not needed. Could boost mark giving detail of printer. Marks : 75 – 1st in Class ( 1 entry only ).
6. NOVICE CLASS ( THEMATIC )
1. Fishes. An attractive entry better arranged by types of fish rather than by stamps.
Marks : 71 – 1st in Class ).
2. 100 years of the Automobile. A bit too crowded but plenty of information and well organised.
Marks : 68 – 2nd
3. My Collection. Needs a title and introduction; maybe forgeries next time ? Marks : 62 – 3rd
Authentication : …………………… Tony Stanford (Judge) 19/02/18
Typed from judge’s m/s notes : Alan Cowie 22 / 2 / 18