OPS Competition Results – History
The Graham White Shield (formerly OPS Shield)(Traditional )
Past Winners by Class
|The Graham White Shield||Eric Oak Memorial Cup||President’s Cup||Social Philately Certificate||The Tim Lardner Shield||OPS Junior Cup||The Novice’s Trophy|
|2009||David Potts||Mike Kitson||David Potts||Mike Payne||David Potts||N/A|
|2010||David Potts||Mike Kitson||David Potts||N/A||David Potts||N/A|
|2011||David Potts||Alan Cowie||Mike Payne||N/A||David Potts||Jack Bowler|
|2012||Alan Cowie||Mike Kitson||Mike Payne||Tristan Brittain||David Potts||N/A|
|2013||Colin Davies||Alan Cowie||Mike Payne||Tristan Brittain||David Potts||N/A|
|2014||David Potts||Tristan Brittain||Mehmet Guney||David Potts||N/A||N/A|
|2015||Colin Davies||Alan Cowie||Mike Payne||N/A||David Potts||N/A|
|2016||Colin Davies||Mike Kitson||Mike Payne||David Potts||Colin Davies||N/A||Neil Hancox|
|2017||Colin Davies||Alan Cowie||Mike Payne||David Potts||N/A||N/A||Ray Mutton|
OXFORD PHILATELIC SOCIETY 9-PAGE COMPETITION 20 FEB 2017 LIST OF ENTRANTS & RESULTS.
|Colin Davies||Post office workers strike fund raising stamps.||77||1|
|POSTAL HISTORY||Alan Cowie||Japanese Paquebot Marks||80||1|
|Tristan Brittan||Postal History of Harar to 1898||79||2|
|Bob Spencer||Covers & cards of the Spanish civil war period.||72||3|
|THEMATIC||Mike Payne||‘Tiger, Tiger’||73||1|
|OPEN||David Potts||China – propaganda mail of the cultural revolution||85||1|
|David Potts||Abbazia – Tourism Between The Wars||82||2|
|Bob Spencer||Insurance – A Force For Good||70||3|
|NOVICE ( THEMATIC )||Ray Mutton||The Battles of Coronel and the Falkland Islands||83||1|
|Mike Bratley||Classic Cars||58||2|
- Winners of each Class go forward to the TVPF regional competition.
- Oxford PS may make 2 entries per Class but individuals may make only one entry themselves. Hand to Mike Kitson at 6 March OPS Meeting.
- TVPF Competition & Prizegiving at Thatcham / WESTPEX 25 March 2017
- All entrants please to show their entries at the OPS evening meeting on Mon 24 April. Displays may be modified if modified for WESTPEX.
OXFORD PS COMPETITION 2017 – JUDGES’ COMMENTS
Judges : Tony Stanford & Rex Dixon. 10 entries including 2 novice class entries
- GB – POST OFFICE WORKERS STRIKE FUND RAISING STAMPS.
Judged as Traditional Class rather than Cinderella as the stamps were postaly valid. Very interesting story, especially with all stamps being signed. On arrangement, would have preferred the two Paolozzi covers on the same sheet, even if the stamps overlapped. That would leave the two Allen Jones covers on separate sheets. Marks : 77 – 1st in Class ( 1 entry ).
- POSTAL HISTORY
- JAPANESE PAQUEBOT MARKS. A very attractive exhibit but does not follow a clear plan. Some doubts about whether all covers are truly Paquebot covers. Marks : 80 – 1st in Class ( 3 entries ).
- POSTAL HISTORY of HARAR to 1898. Good exhibit with nice material well explained. Presentation could be much improved with more balanced & consistent layout. Suggest buff coloured paper. Would be good to mention when the UPU joined and find an earlier cover to add to ‘empty dates’ at end. Marks : 79 – 2nd ( 3 entries ).
- COVERS & CARDS of the SPANISH CIVIL WAR PERIOD. Need to reduce scans on reverse and put on same sheet as front. Use of colour for scans and buff paper would enhance. More info on postal rates used and bibliography. Marks : 72 – 3rd ( 3 entries )
- TIGER, TIGER. Follows the plan with good thematic knowledge. Philatelic knowledge could be improved particularly items relating to plan on sheet eg the ‘Hunting’ Siberian Tiger card is out of place. Marks : 73 – 1st ( 1 entry )
- CINDERELLA NIL Entries.
- CHINA – PROPAGANDA MAIL of the CULTURAL REVOLUTION. Moved from Thematic to Open Class. Attractive presentation of a difficult topic with a good variety of material ( ie of propaganda types ). Need to concentrate on getting covers to fit the boxes. Marks : 85 1st in Class ( 3 entries ).
- INSURANCE – A FORCE for GOOD. Moved from Thematic to Open Class as a high proportion of non-philatelic material. Good development of the theme. The non-philatelic items were illustrations rather than artefacts. Marks : 70 – 3rd in Class ( 3 entries )
- ABBAZIA – TOURISM BETWEEN THE WARS. Lovely exhibit, which suffered from the wrong choice of title ‘ Between the Wars’. Very good range of material. Marks : 82 – 2nd in Class ( 3 entries ).
- NOVICE CLASS ( THEMATIC )
- CLASSIC CARS. Good subject to choose; a subject with potential. Needs more uniform presentation and needs to demonstrate more knowledge of the subject. There’s potential for the future. Marks : 58 – 2nd ( 2 in Class )
- The BATTLES of CORONEL and the FALKLAND ISLANDS. The theme was very well presented; a good story. Lost out with photo-copies of cards. Excellent potential for the OPEN Class. Marks : 83 – 1st ( 2 in Class )
A Stanford and R A Dixon (Judges) 20/02/17
THE THAMES VALLEY PHILATELIC FEDERATION
9-SHEET COMPETITION RESULTS
1st Tony Stanford Maidenhead ‘Bicentenary of the Al Bu-Said Dynasty’ ( 82 )
2nd Stephen Marks Oxford ‘North Borneo – Waterlow Pictorial Issues‘ ( 79 )
Postal History Class
1st Alan Cowie Oxford ‘Paquebot Mails of Japan‘ ( 85 )
2nd Trevor Cornford Wokingham ‘Antarctic Exploration in the 1950`s’ ( 78 )
3rd Nathan Gregory Thatcham ‘Privilege of Peers and Parliamentarians’ ( 70 )
1st Martin Farr Thatcham ‘The Mighty Atom’ ( 75 )
2nd Mike Payne Oxford ‘Tiger,Tiger‘ ( 71 )
1st David Potts Oxford ‘Abbazia – Tourism, Italian Rule and Yugoslav Occupation‘ ( 83 )
2nd Ray Mutton Oxford ‘Naval Battles of Coronel and Falklands 1914‘ ( 73 )
3rd Tony Lyford Windsor : ‘The Danish Enchanter’ ( 70 )
** Trevor Cornford -Wokingham : ‘The International Geophysical Year ‘ ( 71 ) **
** unclassified as above limit of one entry per person
1st Tony Simmonds – Maidenhead : Nigerian Airmails 1936 – 39 ( 84 )
1st Malcolm Gascoyne – Henley ‘SW Singapore 600 No. Series’ ( 81 )